CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 7, 2011

"Hooray for Underpants"

Sesame Street - Elmo's Potty TimeAnyone that has the movie Elmo's Potty Time has heard this quote.  I have had the hardest time getting Girl to WANT underwear.  I asked her yesterday and she replied with, "No thanks mom".  Yes, she really IS that polite.  So I was thinking, hmmm and just ended up shouting out "Hooray for underpants" and started dancing and singing it.  Of course she joined in.  Then I asked her again if she wanted to get some and she said, "okay, sure".  I had to make a run to my LEAST favorite store (Wal-mart) to do some returns/exchanges so we headed back to the toddler section.  The smallest size they had was 4t, but I figured she could always grow into them.  I let her pick her styles.  She chose Tinkerbell and Minnie Mouse packs.  Can you believe that toddler underwear is over $1 a pair?  What in the heck for?  I was annoyed. Anyway, I washed them up when we got home.  She went down for a nap.  When she got up she was able to wear them and she loved it!  They really aren't that big on her.  I didn't want them to be too tight and simulate a diaper and make her regress.

So why was I in such a hurry to put her in underpants?  Honestly, her little butt is getting chapped from being naked.  She even cried about it hurting today. (she is going to kill me someday for putting this on the internet) Now that she has underpants it IS another challenge before going to the bathroom, but she's doing REALLY well with it.  She has pulled them down every time except once.  Well, one and a half.  The first time she was trying to get them down and couldn't hold her pee any longer so she started going while trying to get the undies down.  I obviously helped her and got her on the potty.  We didn't make a big deal about it and just grabbed a new pair.  The other time I think she forgot she had them on.  She just sat down and went and got up and cheered for herself (which she does every time).  I asked her if she remembered her "underpants" (what she calls them) and she looked down and said, "oops, no.  sorry mama".  Once again, no big fuss was made and I let her go underwearless since we were going to be going up for nap soon.  I still put a diaper on for nap time.  I learned my lesson yesterday.  She had gone 2 days with a dry diaper after nap (sleeping an hour and a half) and then yesterday as we were approaching the 2 hour mark I knew she would wake up wet.  Yep. I was right.  Peeing actually woke her up, so we're one step closer to her knowing and getting up before.

Her amazingness continues (it's my blog and I can brag all I want to!!!!).  So you know she does her duties on the potty but here are some other highlights from my 26 month old:

* she made it out and about on 2 different trips without getting wet yesterday
* after she pees she takes the potty cup and empties it and then puts the cup on the bathroom counter for me to rinse (I didn't even teach her this)
* she is starting to say out loud "pee" right before she runs to the potty
* she is starting to eat everything we put her on her plate (granted we bribe her with yogurt and milk)
* she likes to read to her brother - she has some of her books memorized and reads the pages to him - it is SOOOO cute
* she tries to console her brother whenever he is crying
* she always agrees to let Matthew play with us when we play a game, barbies, or potato head


Matthew has his own wonderfulness going on:
* slept through the night the other night
* slept 5 hours, ate, then slept another 3 last night (in his carseat again, but who cares)
* he is sleeping in his CRIB as I type - this is his first time sleeping in the crib (I can't say enough good things about having a video monitor right now either)

We do have a weight check for Matthew on Monday since I'm pretty sure he is gaining weight way too fast.  Perhaps it's "just him" but my gut is saying there is something goofy going on.

My children have just been astonishing me and making me proud every day so far this year.  They are both learning new things and gaining new skills so quickly.  I love them so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews